11 April 2011

The grey skirt: a tale of sheer bullheadedness.

Mom likes to talk at me when I'm trying to work. A month or two ago, she was asking if I wanted to go see Mary Poppins in Philly with her and Daddy.

At that moment, I really didn't care much either way, because I:
  • was trying to work.
  • am mostly indifferent to the alleged allure of Broadway/Philly-wanting-to-be-Broadway shows. I like plays and musicals well enough, but I just don't get that excited to see a story I already know acted out, unless I know some of the cast.
  • don't plan that far in advance if at all avoidable.
But they need to get out more, and I like to encourage them when they're willing to go into the city for fun (they both work within the city limits, but seem to have an aversion to going downtown otherwise, which they like to deny/blame on each other) so I said, "Sure, why not?"

I figured for the price of the tickets, it must be a nice venue, worthy of dressing up a bit, probably digging the dress slacks out of the closet. But yesterday, mom feels compelled to point that out.

"No jeans or sweatpants."

Of course, I took that as a challenge.

The show was tonight, and I babysat earlier this afternoon, so I was wearing sweatpants, and if you add my extreme fondness for this pair of sweatpants to yesterday's "just because you're 22 doesn't mean I trust you to dress yourself" comment, there was no way I was taking off these sweatpants.

However, contrary to my mother's opinion, I do know how to dress properly, and do know better than to go into a nice theatre looking my usual around-the-house hobo self.

Paradox resolution: the grey skirt.

The grey skirt is long. Floor-skimming long, and heavy enough that it drapes nicely even over a not-nicely-draping extra layer. And it's shiney-ish and pretty-- perfectly respectable evening-out-wear, paired with the black tank I was already wearing, a nice black cardigan, and cute black heels. Also, perfect sweatpants camouflage. \o/

The show was pretty good too, by the way. :) (And there were totally people wearing jeans.)

No comments:

Post a Comment